Big time saver. (Review).* Process Picture Map, software, 2001, Talsico (877-591-2848, www.talsico.com), single seat license $650; 10-seat site license $7,900.
As a training manager you are faced daily with the challenge of ensuring that the design and development of training meets or exceeds the tenets of sound education practices. Does each lesson or module address all learning styles? Is all of my printed material consistent, standardized, and clear? Are CBT/WBT lessons consistent with my on-the-job or instructor-led courses?
If you are the training manager in a process manufacturing The manufacturing industry that uses process control systems. See process control. industry (oil and gas, chemical, cement), you are faced with an overwhelming array of externally imposed requirements as well. OSHA OSHA
Occupational Safety and Health Administration, a branch of the US Department of Labor responsible for establishing and enforcing safety and health standards in the workplace. , MSHA MSHA Mine Safety and Health Administration (US government)
MSHA Master of Science in Health Administration
MSHA Mine Safety and Health Administration
MSHA Maison des Sciences de l'Homme d'Aquitaine (French) , DOE, EPA EPA eicosapentaenoic acid.
n.pr See acid, eicosapentaenoic.
n. , and a dozen other government agencies levy strict requirements across a multitude of training subjects. Key to resolving the conflicts between educational material and health and safety requirements are consistent and standardized procedures and job aids that decrease the variability inherent in all human interactions.
Talsico's Process Picture Map software is the easiest, most comprehensive development tool I have ever used for creating job aids, graphic organizers, standard operating procedures standard operating procedure Medtalk A technique, method or therapy performed 'by the book,' using a standard protocol meeting internally or externally defined criteria; a formal, written procedure that describes how specific lab operations are to be performed. , maintenance procedures, or lesson plans. By providing an intuitive interface, or "wizard," Talsico successfully links educational standards with regulatory requirements to generate excellent training, maintenance, and operations documents.
By skillfully skill·ful
1. Possessing or exercising skill; expert. See Synonyms at proficient.
2. Characterized by, exhibiting, or requiring skill. using the graphic features of Microsoft Word A full-featured word processing program for Windows and the Macintosh from Microsoft. Included in the Microsoft application suite, it is a sophisticated program with rudimentary desktop publishing capabilities that has become the most widely used word processing application on the market. , Talsico's software handles all the formatting problems that typically slow development. The software takes flowcharts, graphs, photos, symbols, checklists, or clipart and automatically arranges, sizes, and positions each element within a template.
Installation is simple. A standard CD install-setup program takes you through the entire process. Familiarity with Microsoft Word's template and design features is a prerequisite to using the software effectively right out of the box. The software's wizards take you through each step in the design and development process. Experienced procedure writers will recognize and appreciate the numbering and sequencing system that the software uses in setting up the logical flow of elements and steps.
Trainers and on-the-job (OJT OJT On-The-Job Training
OJT Office de Justification des Tirages (predecessor of OJD) ) subject matter experts will probably have to spend time familiarizing fa·mil·iar·ize
tr.v. fa·mil·iar·ized, fa·mil·iar·iz·ing, fa·mil·iar·iz·es
1. To make known, recognized, or familiar.
2. To make acquainted with. themselves with the many features of the program. Talsico fortunately offers a wide range of implementation support, from free tutorials included on the CD and toll free telephone support to on-site workshops and mentoring programs.
Process Picture Map reduces the tedium of procedure writing. That benefit can contribute directly to improved safety, while it decreases the learning curve associated with complicated maintenance actions or production procedures. Those who have spent weeks working with complicated desktop publishing desktop publishing, system for producing printed materials that consists of a personal computer or computer workstation, a high-resolution printer (usually a laser printer), and a computer program that allows the user to select from a variety of type fonts and sizes, programs will relish the speed and ease of creation that this software provides.
There are some hidden' requirements that are not obvious at first glance:
* To maximize the graphic/photo insertion capability, high-quality (300-1200 dpi) graphic elements are essential. This will require a printer, scanner, or digital camera capable of rendering sufficient resolution.
* The job or process must be task based and easily rendered in sequential order in order to optimize the flowchart capability of the software.
Buy it! If you are responsible for process safety management, procedure writing, predictive/preventive maintenance procedures, or technical training, buy it now! I highly recommend Talsico's Process Picture Map software as a time-saving productivity enhancer.
Richard Lowell is the general manager, Training Services, for FMSC FMSC Feed My Starving Children (Minnesota charity)
FMSC Federal Maritime Security Coordinator
FMSC Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service
FMSC Financial Management Steering Committee
FMSC Federal Manual for Supply Cataloging Group Inc., a maintenance management and engineering services consulting firm Noun 1. consulting firm - a firm of experts providing professional advice to an organization for a fee
business firm, firm, house - the members of a business organization that owns or operates one or more establishments; "he worked for a that is part of the FLSmidth family of companies.
Process Picture Map product rating Ease of installation *** Holds user interest ***1/2 Production quality ***1/2 Degree of interactivity **1/2 Quality of interactivity *** Value of content **** Instructional value **** Value for the money **1/2 Documentation ***1/2 Overall rating ***1/2
Very good ***1/2
Above average **1/2
Below Average *1/2
NA Not applicable
NR Not rated (usually not enough information)