Big Planet Orbits Into Digital Learning.
PROVO, Utah, Feb. 25 /PRNewswire/ -- Big Planet, the InterNetworking(TM) Company, announced today it is significantly enhancing its education offering through the Big Planet Education Network (BPEN) with the addition of learning products from World Book(TM). Big Planet has worked closely with World Book to create a unique education packaging option called the World Book Home Reference Bundle.
"The mission of the Big Planet Education Network is to change not only the way people learn, but the way people feel about learning," said Ben de Hoyos, director of BPEN. "Big Planet brings to market only the best in educational products. World Book Encyclopedia and World Book's new American Reference Library meet such criteria."
The World Book Home Reference Bundle is available on CD-ROM for PC's running Windows and includes the following products: World Book Encyclopedia Deluxe Edition, World Book American Reference Library, World Book Medical Encyclopedia and World Book's How to Study.
The World Book Encyclopedia on CD-ROM -- Deluxe Edition
Continually rated number one by students, teachers and librarians as their favorite choice, World Book Encyclopedia provides accurate, up-to-date and authoritative materials in an easy-to-use and easy-to-understand format. The encyclopedia continues the 80-year World Book international reputation for presenting information in a clear, direct style that meets the most exacting standards of readability. Some features include:
* extensive multimedia
* thousands of video files, maps, simulations, animations, photos and sound files
* virtual reality visits to more than 100 wonders of the world, such as the Eiffel Tower, with 3-D Bubble Technology
* sound clips of animal calls, world music and political speeches
* interactive simulations make difficult topics simple to understand
* all articles from World Book's 22-volume encyclopedia plus many more created exclusively for the CD-ROM
* annual research and testing in hundreds of classrooms nationwide
* content carefully selected to match school curriculums
* homework wizards (tools)
* cartographically accurate maps
* instant definitions retrieved from a 225,000 word dictionary
World Book American Reference Library
American Reference Library provides an unprecedented knowledge base of hundreds of books, including more than 53,000 source documents, reference works and other materials for studying and teaching history, government and political science. Users can acquire the largest single CD-ROM library of historical and official documents at a fraction of the $11,000 value of the printed books. Some features include:
* more than 1,000 primary and secondary sources of American history and politics
* a 3,000-entry American history dictionary of people and events
* easy reference to information not available even on the Internet
* instant access to the only CD-ROM edition of the public papers of U.S. presidents
* search and look-up capabilities for 1,000 landmark U.S. Supreme Court decisions from 1793-1997
* 52 lesson plans featuring source-document learning activities
* a vast quote collection containing 12,000 entries organized by subject
* comprehensive overview of the legislative process available on a database of official U.S. Congress publications.
World Book Medical Encyclopedia
This resource offers 4,500 entries on safety measures, injuries, symptoms and treatments. The Medical Encyclopedia offers answers to common questions about medicine and health, as well as step-by-step advice to help manage medical concerns.
World Book's How To Study
A series of seven courses designed to improve study habits including:
* why study skills are important
* reading for fun and profit
* a place to study
* the SQ3R System -- Survey, Question, Read, Recite, Review
* note taking
* planning to study
"Although World Book counts on its own direct sales representatives, this new relationship with Big Planet and its growing independent sales force will certainly augment our level of penetration in the United States," said Bill Quinn, president of World Book Home Sales.
World Book Encyclopedia is continually rated number one in providing accurate and authoritative source material in an easy-to-use and easy-to-understand format. Big Planet Education Network will also offer print versions of the Encyclopedia while other components are available on CD-ROM only.
* 22 volumes . * more than 14,000 pages
* up-to-date information, new curriculum developments and changing educational practices
* designed and written to meet the reference and study needs of students
* more than 30,000 illustrations and photographs
Pricing and Availability
Big Planet will provide the World Book Home Reference Bundle through its national network of independent representatives and on the Web at www.bigplanet.com for $149.95. Big Planet will also sell the World Book American Reference Library for $79.95. Pricing on the printed version is available through Big Planet representatives.
About Big Planet
Big Planet, the InterNetworking(TM) Company, based in Provo, Utah, is an innovative provider of communications and technology products and services for individuals and small businesses. InterNetworking is the next revolution in direct marketing, combining the power of one-to-one relationships with the emerging global Internet opportunity to improve the way we Learn, Communicate, Work, Shop and Play.
Through Big Planet's network of Independent Representatives, the company offers an array of integrated, high quality, technology products that combine new levels of customer value to capture key customer connections to the home and small office with services such as Internet access, e-commerce, dynamic web pages, voice/data communications, education and more. For information about Big Planet and its products and services, visit the Big Planet Web site at www.bigplanet.com, or call (801) 345-7000.
Nu Skin Enterprises, Inc.(NYSE: NUS), a world leader in direct selling, has announced its intent to acquire the business of Big Planet. Big Planet has agreed in principle to the transaction, which is expected to close in approximately 90 days. The proposed acquisition is subject to, among other things, completion of definitive documentation and obtaining necessary regulatory, shareholder and third-party approvals.
About World Book, Inc.
Accuracy. Objectivity. Readability. Reliability. These principles have guided the creation of all World Book(TM) products for over 80 years. Today, World Book, creators of the best selling print encyclopedia, extends its tradition of excellence in reference materials into the future. For more information visit www.worldbook.com or call 1-800-WORLDBK (1-800-967-5325).
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Date:||Feb 25, 1999|
|Previous Article:||Silicon Graphics Expands Stock Repurchase Program.|
|Next Article:||NewSouth Communications Approved To Serve Louisiana.|