Be there or be unaware: IMTS 2004.Every two years, Chicago's McCormick Place is the venue for the largest manufacturing technology show in North America and one of the most-important shows of its type in the world: the International Manufacturing Technology Show, or IMTS IMTS International Manufacturing Technology Show
IMTS Improved Mobile Telephone Service
IMTS International Machine Tool Show
IMTS International Merchandise Trade Statistics
IMTS Improved Moving Target Simulator
IMTS Information Management Technical Specialist (www.imts.com) (with the other two being the European EMO show and the Japanese JIMTOF). This year, The Association for Manufacturing Technology Association for Manufacturing Technology, formerly the National Machine Tool Builders Association (NMTB), creates machine tool design standards.
The NMTB laid down standards for machine tool design, among other things: the taper used on CNC (Computer Numerically Controlled) (AMT See vPro. ), is holding IMTS from September 8-15 (so if you have a spot on your near-term calendar, you ought to fill it in now).
Because this show is massive, taking space in all three of the halls of McCormick, it is conveniently organized into pavilions, or areas where the equipment is arrayed like with like. Specifically, there are pavilions for:
* Abrasive Machining/Sawing/Finishing
* Controls & CAD/CAM CAD/CAM
in full computer-aided design/computer-aided manufacturing.
Integration of design and manufacturing into a system under direct control of digital computers.
* EDM (Engineering Data Management) An information system that maintains the details of all engineering data while the product is in the design and concept phase. This includes geometry and changes to geometry. See PLM.
EDM - Electronic Data Management
* Fluid Power
* Gear Generation
* Machine Components/Cleaning/Environmental
* Metal Cutting
* Metal Forming & Fabricating/Laser
* Quality Assurance
* Tooling & Workholding Systems
In addition to which, as this is also an event that is focused on the future of manufacturing, there is a special pavilion:
* Emerging Technology Center
All in all, there are literally over 1,000 companies exhibiting, and the space covered is impressive: the Metal Cutting pavilion, for example, will be some 550,000-[ft.sup.2].
Also, AMT and the Society of Manufacturing Engineers The Society of Manufacturing Engineers  (SME) is dedicated to bringing people and information together to advance manufacturing knowledge. SME is internationally recognized by manufacturing practitioners, companies and other organizations as a source for information, (SME (1) (Small and Medium-sized Enterprise) See SMB.
(2) (Subject Matter Expert) An individual who is well-versed in the policies and procedures of a particular department or division. ) are sponsoring Manufacturing Conference at IMTS from September 8 through the 10th.
Among the subjects to be covered are:
* Lean manufacturing
* Supply chain management
* Sustainable manufacturing
* Product lifecycle management
* Machine tool justification
The bottom line on all of this is that IMTS offers a place where equipment can be speced and sourced, where the latest information regarding developments in manufacturing can be realized in an efficient manner.