Boiler problem closes Briggs Middle School
SPRINGFIELD - Students at Briggs Middle School will have the day off from school today as a safety precaution following a boiler room malfunction Sunday afternoon.
Smoke filled much of the school about 2 p.m. when low water in a boiler caused it to overheat, school district spokesman Jeff DeFranco said.
Four firetrucks and a fire department cleanup crew responded, DeFranco said.
District officials decided late Sunday to close school today because of smoke residue on walls, DeFranco said. Clean-up crews and an air quality expert will be at the school today, he said.
Bus drivers will distribute explanatory fliers this morning to students and parents who have not yet heard about the closure, DeFranco said. Parents with questions can call the Briggs school office at 744-6350.
While a final decision won't be made until this afternoon, the district expects that the school can resume operations Tuesday, DeFranco said.