Printer Friendly

BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU ADVERTISING WATCHDOG DIVISION UPHOLDS IMS AMERICA XPONENT CLAIMS

 TOTOWA, N.J., Aug. 6 /PRNewswire/ -- In a decision with implications for the healthcare industry, the National Advertising Division (NAD) of the Council of Better Business Bureaus, Inc. announced today that IMS America, Ltd. substantiated its claims that its Xponent(TM) pharmaceutical prescriber data is the most accurate and precise in the marketplace, and improves sales force productivity. IMS America, a company of The Dun and Bradstreet Corporation, provides sales and marketing decision support to pharmaceutical manufacturers.
 In an Aug. 5, 1993 decision, the NAD found that IMS America substantiated claims that Xponent offers superior precision and accuracy. The decision followed a NAD inquiry prompted by a competitor, Walsh America, Inc., which challenged the validity of the claims. The NAD also found that IMS substantiated its statement that Xponent is "the first and only true prescriber database." Walsh America has claimed that it also provides a prescriber database.
 NAD is an independent review board that is committed to high standards of truth and accuracy in advertising.
 NAD rejected Walsh's challenge to, and confirmed IMS America's substantiation of, the following Xponent claims:
 1. "Research (by statisticians using industry standard Monte Carlo simulations to compare methodologies) proves Xponent delivers superior accuracy."
 2. "...giving you productivity gains equal to adding 15 reps to your sales force."
 3. "Xponent delivers the most precise measure of each prescriber's writing activity."
 4. "Xponent's prescriber-level information is far more precise than information projected at a zone level."
 5. "Xponent: the first and only true prescriber database."
 In addition, the NAD recommended modifying two claims. Following these recommendations, the claim, "Xponent is 50 percent more accurate than the other service," is changed to, "Xponent is 50 percent more accurate than zone-type methods."
 The second recommendation concerned the claim, "Prescriber level projections that are more precise for 8 out of the 10 top prescribers in every territory," which is modified to state, "... are more precise for 8 out of the top 10 prescribers in the sales territories of a test area representative of 85 percent of all prescribers." This particular testing was not done for geographies reflecting the remaining 15 percent of prescribers.
 Xponent's more accurate, doctor-level prescription information enables pharmaceutical manufacturers to improve the efficiency and productivity of their sales and marketing programs, thereby reducing the total cost of delivering drugs to the patient.
 Xponent's prescription information makes it possible to effectively micromaket to prescribers. Users also may achieve dramatic improvements in territory performance evaluation, compensation and call planning, among other functions.
 Xponent's claims and the NAD decision are based on research conducted by Monte Carlo simulations -- a widely accepted validation technique.
 The Monte Carlo method compared the performance of Xponent's prescriber-based projections against a prototype zone methodology. Xponent is custom-built to project individual prescribers, whereas Walsh's methodology is based upon geographic zone projection factors.
 "We are pleased with the outcome of the NAD inquiry," said Robert N. Merold, vice president of marketing. "The NAD decision further substantiates that Xponent has no equal in the prescriber-database market."
 The Dun & Bradstreet Corporation is the world's leading marketer of information, software and services for business decision-making, with worldwide revenue of $4.8 billion in 1992.
 Additional information and copies of the NAD report may be had by calling the contact below.
 -0- 8/6/93
 /CONTACT: Robert Marquis or Marc Weinstein of Princeton Public Relations Group, 908-873-5588, for IMS America/


CO: IMS America, Inc. ST: New Jersey IN: MTC SU:

PS-TS -- NY009 -- 0199 08/06/93 09:20 EDT
COPYRIGHT 1993 PR Newswire Association LLC
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1993 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:PR Newswire
Date:Aug 6, 1993
Words:579
Previous Article:LEVER BROTHERS AND AMERICARES WORK TOGETHER TO PROVIDE RELIEF FOR FLOOD VICTIMS THROUGH DONATIONS AND TOLL FREE 800 NUMBERS
Next Article:HEALTHCARE IMAGING SERVICES, INC. ANNOUNCES EXTENSION OF WARRANT EXERCISE PRICE REDUCTION PERIOD
Topics:

Terms of use | Copyright © 2016 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters