Avago Technologies Announces Ultra-Thin Integrated Ambient Light and Proximity Sensor Module for Use in Mobile Phones.
SAN JOSE San Jose, city, United States
San Jose (sănəzā`, săn hōzā`), city (1990 pop. 782,248), seat of Santa Clara co., W central Calif.; founded 1777, inc. 1850. , Calif. & SINGAPORE -- Avago Technologies Avago Technologies is an American company which was earlier the semiconductor products division of HP and later Agilent Technologies, before being spun off into a distinct legal entity. It holds more than 2,000 patents. (Nasdaq:AVGO), a leading supplier of analog interface components for communications, industrial and consumer applications, today announced a new ambient light and proximity sensor that has been integrated into an ultra-thin module for use in mobile phones. Avago's compact APDS-9800 integrated sensor module is designed to help conserve power and extend battery life in mobile phones and is easy to install. This new sensor module can also be used in other mobile electronic applications such as PDAs, handheld games and personal computers.
Built in a surface mountable package that is 1.45 mm thick by 4.95 mm in length by 3.0 mm wide, the APDS-9800 offers many technical features that are required by mobile phone manufacturers such as an extended detection range, and signal conditioning Imagine feeding the output of a temperature sensor, which is in millivolts, to an Analog-to-digital converter to be processed. Is it possible for the Analog-to-Digital converter to process such a minute voltage amplitude? The answer is probably no. circuitry which offers superior performance in bright sunlight conditions. The APDS-9800 is composed of four chips: an ambient light sensor IC; proximity sensor and signal conditioning IC; LED emitter One side of a bipolar transistor. See collector. ; and detector. The ambient light sensor, which has a spectral response The variable output of a light-sensitive device that is based on the color of the light it perceives. that is close to that of the human eye, is used to control display backlighting back·light
A type of spotlight, used in photography, that illuminates a subject from behind.
tr.v. back·light·ed or back·lit , back·light·ing, back·lights brightness. The proximity sensor signal conditioning IC consists of an LED driver and receiver circuit with excellent ambient light cancellation capability. The built-in LED and detector allow the sensor to detect the proximity of an object to the device.
Avago's APDS-9800 includes a shutdown mode to conserve power consumption and extend battery life. Additionally, the pulse width pulse width Pulse duration Cardiac pacing The duration of a pacing pulse in msecs , burst rate, duty cycle and frequency can be controlled to further minimize power consumption.
* Small form factor: L 4.95 by W 3.0 by H 1.45 mm
* Spectral responsivity close to that of the human eye
* Built-in LED and detector for proximity detection
* Low sensitivity variation across various light sources
* Output linearity across a wide illumination range
* Operational under strong sunlight and artificial light environments
* Adjustable LED driving current, pulse and burst parameters
* Controllable gain and integration time through external resistor resistor, two-terminal electric circuit component that offers opposition to an electric current. Resistors are normally designed and operated so that, with varying levels of current, variations of their resistance values are negligible (see resistance). and capacitor capacitor or condenser, device for the storage of electric charge. Simple capacitors consist of two plates made of an electrically conducting material (e.g., a metal) and separated by a nonconducting material or dielectric (e.g.
* LED stuck high protection to extend LED life
* Both analog and digital output available
* Shutdown mode with low current consumption
* Supply voltage range: 2.4 to 3.6V
* RoHS compliant
Pricing and Availability
Pricing for Avago's APDS-9800 optical proximity sensor starts at $2.10 in minimum quantities of 2,500. Samples and production quantities are available now through Avago's direct sales channel and worldwide distribution partners. More information is available at www.avagotech.com/sensors.
About Avago Technologies
Avago Technologies is a leading supplier of analog interface components for communications, industrial and consumer applications. By leveraging its core competencies A core competency is something that a firm can do well and that meets the following three conditions specified by Hamel and Prahalad (1990):
- It provides customer benefits
- It is hard for competitors to imitate
- It can be leveraged widely to many products and markets.
System using radio-frequency, infrared, microwave, or other types of electromagnetic or acoustic waves in place of wires, cables, or fibre optics to transmit signals or data. , wired infrastructure, industrial and automotive electronics, and consumer and computing peripherals. Avago has a global employee presence and heritage of technical innovation dating back 40 years to its Hewlett-Packard roots. Information about Avago is available on the Web at www.avagotech.com.
Safe Harbor Safe Harbor
1. A legal provision to reduce or eliminate liability as long as good faith is demonstrated.
2. A form of shark repellent implemented by a target company acquiring a business that is so poorly regulated that the target itself is less attractive. Statement
This announcement and supporting materials may contain forward-looking statements forward-looking statement
A projected financial statement based on management expectations. A forward-looking statement involves risks with regard to the accuracy of assumptions underlying the projections. which address our expected future business and financial performance. These forward looking statements are based on current expectations, estimates, forecasts and projections of future Company or industry performance based on management's judgment, beliefs, current trends and market conditions, and involve risks and uncertainties that may cause actual results to differ materially from those contained in the forward-looking statements. Accordingly, we caution you not to place undue reliance on these statements. Avago Technologies Finance Pte. Ltd.'s Annual Report on Form 20-F filed with the SEC on December 17, 2008, recent Current Reports on Form 6-K, and other filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission ("SEC") (which you may obtain for free at the SECs website at http://www.sec.gov) discuss some of the important risk factors that may affect our business, results of operations, and financial condition.
Avago, Avago Technologies, and the A logo are trademarks of Avago Technologies. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NOTE TO EDITORS: Please direct reader inquiries to Avago Technologies at +1 800 235 0312, or e-mail us at email@example.com.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Date:||Sep 9, 2009|
|Previous Article:||Enzo Biochem to Present at Thomas Weisel Partners 2009 Healthcare Conference.|
|Next Article:||Allviant Launches Social Media Philanthropy Initiative to Drive Community Engagement in Youth Programs.|