Assessing psychological readiness for learning about breastfeeding in mothers of NICU infants: a guide for postpartum nurses.
The 1.1 contact hours for this program will be offered until March 31, 2014.
1. What is one of the barriers to teaching about breastfeeding/breast pumping for the postpartum nurse?
(a) The mother delivers a baby who is admitted to the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU).
(b) The lactation consultant has already left for the day.
(c) The nurse assumes that the mother is not ready for learning.
(d) The mother has not indicated a feeding choice on her admission paperwork.
2. The nurse should avoid teaching a new mother who has been observed crying during the first 2 postpartum hours.
3. The following illustrates the best active cue for readiness to learn in the postpartum mother:
(a) The mother is talking with the baby's father about naming the baby.
(b) The mother has called the NICU to inquire about her baby.
(c) The parents read several sources on infant feeding prior to delivery.
(d) The mother states that she has limited knowledge about breastfeeding.
4. Why might the postpartum nurse be in the best position to initiate education about breastfeeding/pumping?
(a) The nurse is the only healthcare professional coming in contact with the mother during the evening/night shift.
(b) The NICU nurse's focus is exclusively on the baby.
(c) Breastfeeding should be initiated within the first 2 hours of life to be effective.
(d) The mother may not be physically able to visit or feed the baby directly.
5. Early assessment of readiness to learn about breastfeeding is important to the mother-baby pair because:
(a) A complete nursing assessment is the primary component in mother-baby bonding.
(b) Readiness to learn is associated with the physiologic lactation response.
(c) Providing nutrition for the infant is empowering to the new mother.
(d) All of the above.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Journal of the New York State Nurses Association|
|Date:||Sep 22, 2010|
|Previous Article:||CE activity: assessing psychological readiness for learning about breastfeeding in mothers of NICU Infants: a guide for postpartum nurses.|
|Next Article:||Join in to make change.|