Arms wrestling. .Dave Marash's article ("Saddam's Serb Supplier," March)does a good job uncovering the arms-trade connection between Serbia and Saddam Hussein Saddam Hussein
(born April 28, 1937, Tikrit, Iraq—died Dec. 30, 2006, Baghdad) President of Iraq (1979–2003). He joined the Ba'th Party in 1957. Following participation in a failed attempt to assassinate Iraqi Pres. .
As for the Bush administration's lack of interest in the Balkans, this phenomenon can be explained by the fact that the special interests who influence the White House have no stake in the Balkans, as opposed to the forces that dominated the Clinton administration's agenda. Unfortunately, the common interest is on no one's agenda.
NICK GATSOULIS New York, N.Y.
After reading the article by Dave Marash Dave Marash is an American television journalist. He is the Washington-based anchor of Al Jazeera English. He is a Jewish American. 
Marash came to ABC News from WCBS-TV in New York. , I can only feel anger and dismay at the E.U. for pushing Croatia into the SAA (Systems Application Architecture) A set of interfaces designed to cross all IBM platforms from PC to mainframe. Introduced by IBM in 1987, SAA includes the Common User Access (CUA), the Common Programming Interface for Communications (CPI-C) and Common Communications Stability and Association Agreement, which obliges Croatia to open its borders and make all kinds of association agreements with these former Yugoslavian republics, with which Croatia never culturally had any connections.
Croatia has for more than 1,000 years belonged to the Western, Central European, and Mediterranean culture and religion, while being part of Yugoslavia for only some 70 years--where it was subjugated sub·ju·gate
tr.v. sub·ju·gat·ed, sub·ju·gat·ing, sub·ju·gates
1. To bring under control; conquer. See Synonyms at defeat.
2. To make subservient; enslave. by the Serbs. One can read in many important international reports about the lawlessness law·less
1. Unrestrained by law; unruly: a lawless mob.
2. Contrary to the law; unlawful: the lawless slaughter of protected species.
3. and criminality in the Balkan states, but Croatia is never included. Croatia simply does not belong in the Balkans--never did. When will the rest of the world understand this?
HILDA M. FOLEY National Federation of Croatian Americans Santa Ana, Calif.