Alltel Wireless Now Offers Treo Pro Smartphone by Palm.EV-DO (EVolution-Data Only) A 3G high-speed digital data service provided by cellular carriers worldwide that use the CDMA technology, including Verizon and Sprint in the U.S. EV-DO works on EV-DO cellphones as well as laptops and portable devices that have EV-DO modems. Rev. A Data Speeds, Internet Explorer Mobile Internet Explorer Mobile or IE Mobile (formerly named Pocket Internet Explorer or PIE before Windows Mobile 5.0) is an Internet browser developed by Microsoft for Pocket PC and Handheld PC that comes loaded by default with Windows Mobile and 6 in an Elegant Design
SUNNYVALE, Calif. & LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- Palm, Inc. (Nasdaq:PALM) and Alltel Wireless today announced that the Treo[TM] Pro smartphone A cellular telephone with information access. It provides digital voice service as well as any combination of e-mail, text messaging, pager, Web access, voice recognition, still and/or video camera, MP3, TV or video player and organizer (see PDA). is available today at Alltel Wireless retail stores and online at alltel.com. Treo Pro is a sleek, full-function smartphone that offers business users the ease of use and robust features they demand while providing the reliability and manageability IT departments require. With Wi-Fi, GPS and Windows([R]) Mobile 6.1, Treo Pro helps busy professionals stay connected on the go so they can structure their lives around their priorities without sacrificing work productivity.(1)
Treo Pro is loaded with support for EV-DO Rev. A data speeds, Wi-Fi for data, and GPS capabilities.(1) Users can browse the web and send and receive emails at quick, mobile wireless broadband High-speed wireless transmission of data. What is "high" speed is always a changing number. Wireless systems are typically slower than land-based, wireline networks. In the past, wireless broadband started at 250 Kbps, whereas land-based broadband was generally considered to start at T1 speeds. Treo Pro is the first Palm phone available with Internet Explorer Mobile 6, with options for either a mobile-optimized or desktop-like browsing experience. Its thin design blends a flush, high-resolution color touch screen and a full QWERTY keyboard The standard English language typewriter keyboard. Q, W, E, R, T and Y are the letters on the top left, alphabetic row. Designed by Christopher Sholes, who invented the typewriter, the keyboard layout was organized to prevent people from typing too fast and jamming the keys. with a removable battery that packs up to five hours of talk time and enough strength for the business user's needs, offering a powerful yet effortless ef·fort·less
Calling for, requiring, or showing little or no effort. See Synonyms at easy.
effort·less·ly adv. mobile experience.
"Businesses want the control and savings that Windows affords, in an innovative and elegant package that keeps their users happy. Treo Pro balances both," said John Traynor, vice president, business products, Palm, Inc.
With integrated GPS, Treo Pro offers turn-by-turn directions, maps and point-of-interest searches for locations such as restaurants or stores. Palm's Wi-Fi hardware and software innovations on Treo Pro make it easy to get online fast and manage network connections and power usage. The one-touch Wi-Fi button provides a clean, uncluttered Wi-Fi experience that gets Treo Pro users rapidly connected at home, in the office or in Wi-Fi hotspots.
"Treo Pro strengthens our aggressive business product portfolio by letting customers easily stay connected and experience Alltel's broadband network," said Angela Rittgers, director of product management for Alltel Wireless. "Businesses will benefit from Treo Pro's advanced functionality and well-designed user interface."
The Palm Experience on Windows Mobile The Windows platform from Microsoft for handheld devices, including PDAs, cellphones and Portable Media Centers. See Pocket PC, Pocket PC Phone Edition, Smartphone and Portable Media Center. 6.1
Treo Pro supports Microsoft Direct Push Technology(2) for up-to-date email, contacts and calendars. With the deployment of Microsoft System Center Mobile Device Manager 2008, Treo Pro delivers increased security, easier smartphone management, and access to information on the corporate network. IT professionals can confidently manage large Treo Pro deployments similar to how they manage PCs.
Treo Pro is the first Palm phone with Internet Explorer Mobile 6, bringing users a new, full-featured, high-quality Flash supported browsing experience. Users can choose to browse in a mobile-optimized mode or in a desktop browser browser
Software that allows a computer user to find and view information on the Internet. The first text-based browser for the World Wide Web became available in 1991; Web use expanded rapidly after the release in 1993 of a browser called Mosaic, which used mode. Microsoft brings the mobile web-browsing experience on par with what end users and developers have come to expect from their desktops - the ability to easily view web pages and multimedia on the web and best-in-class capability to complete transactions, from banking to checking in for a flight. Treo Pro helps optimize optimize - optimisation business processes by mobilizing mobilizing,
v 1. freeing or making loose and able to move.
2. observing any ongoing movements in a client's body, whether small or large, assisted or not, that identify strengths and weaknesses, as well as the client's physical and users with several Palm specific enhancements to the Windows platform, including:
* Ringer switch - Silences the device immediately.
* Clock and date screen saver A utility that was originally created to prevent a CRT from being etched by an unchanging image. After a specified duration of time without keyboard or mouse input, it blanks the screen or displays moving objects. Pressing a key or moving the mouse restores the screen. - Lets users know at a glance - without turning on the device - what date and time it is and whether they've missed a call or have a new SMS/MMS message.
* New voicemail indicator - The center button flashes to let users know that a voicemail is waiting.
* Dedicated email and calendar buttons - Fast one-button access.
Lower Costs, Increased Productivity
With Treo Pro, businesses can take advantage of a tightly integrated Palm and Windows solution for their mobile work forces, including:
* Microsoft Direct Push Technology(2) -- Connection to Microsoft Exchange Server Microsoft Exchange Server is a messaging and collaborative software product developed by Microsoft. It is part of the Microsoft Servers line of server products and is widely used by enterprises using Microsoft infrastructure solutions. 2003 SP2 or 2007 gives users up-to-date email, contacts and calendars.
* Microsoft System Center Mobile Device Manager 2008 -- With the deployment of Mobile Device Manager, the Treo Pro can deliver increased security, easier smartphone management, and access to information on the corporate network. IT professionals can confidently manage large Treo Pro deployments.
* Applications for Windows Phones -- Businesses can extend mobility beyond email to optimize business processes.
* Integrated GPS -- Users can access maps, turn-by-turn directions and point-of-interest (POI) searches.(1)
* Support and training -- Palm's ease-of-use innovations make Treo Pro so easy to use, businesses can spend less on training and support for their users.
* Familiar Windows experience -- Users can browse the web with built-in Internet Explorer Mobile; open, view, and edit Word and Excel compatible files; review PowerPoint presentations and PDF files See PDF. ; and open ZIP files (1) A file that contains one or more files that have been compressed into the ZIP format. Also called a "ZIP archive," "zipped file" or "zipped archive," the ZIP algorithm is the most popular compression method in use.
Not Just the . remotely.
More information about Treo Pro is available at www.palm.com/TreoPro.
About Alltel Wireless
Alltel Wireless continues to be an industry-leader, providing choice and flexibility with its exclusive "My Circle" feature, giving customers unlimited, free calling to and from any five, 10 or 20 numbers on any network, including a combination of home phone, office or wireless numbers located anywhere in the U.S. Alltel Wireless was also the first to offer Anytime Plan Changes, giving customers the flexibility to change their calling plans at any time, without extending their contract. For more information, please visit www.alltel.com.
About Palm, Inc.
Palm, Inc. is a leading mobile products company, creating instinctive in·stinc·tive
1. Of, relating to, or prompted by instinct.
2. Arising from impulse; spontaneous and unthinking: an instinctive mistrust of bureaucrats. yet powerful mobile products that enable people to better manage their lives on the go. The company's products for consumers, mobile professionals and businesses include Palm([R]) Treo[TM], Pre[TM] and Centro[TM] phones, as well as software, services and accessories.
Palm products are sold through select Internet, retail, reseller An organization that sells hardware and software to the general public. Resellers purchase products from software publishers and hardware manufacturers. and wireless operator channels throughout the world, and at Palm online stores (http://www.palm.com/store).
More information about Palm, Inc. is available at http://www.palm.com.
(1) Within wireless coverage area only. Wi-Fi within range of 802.11b/g Wi-Fi network See wireless Ethernet and 802.11. . Some Wi-Fi hotspots require fee for usage. Email, web, and GPS require an account and data services at additional cost. GPS coverage not available in all areas at all times.
(2) Microsoft Direct Push Technology requires Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 with SP2 or Exchange Server 2007. Additional fees and software may be needed to comply with corporate IT policy. VPN (Virtual Private Network) A private network that is configured within a public network (a carrier's network or the Internet) in order to take advantage of the economies of scale and management facilities of large networks. may be required.
Palm, Treo, Pre and Centro are among the trademarks or registered trademarks owned by or licensed to Palm, Inc. All other brand and product names are or may be trademarks of, and are used to identify products or services of, their respective owners.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Date:||Mar 5, 2009|
|Previous Article:||Mentor Graphics Eldo Simulator used by STMicroelectronics to Characterize 32nm Cell Libraries.|
|Next Article:||Management Dynamics Releases Performance Management Solution to Improve Reporting and Analytics for Global Trade Management.|