Allegheny Energy Announces Significant Developments for West Virginia Transmission Line.Jobs for West Virginia West Virginia, E central state of the United States. It is bordered by Pennsylvania and Maryland (N), Virginia (E and S), and Kentucky and, across the Ohio R., Ohio (W). Facts and Figures
Area, 24,181 sq mi (62,629 sq km). Pop. , Rate Relief, and Customer Programs Proposed
GREENSBURG, Pa. -- Trans-Allegheny Interstate in·ter·state
Involving, existing between, or connecting two or more states.
One of a system of highways extending between the major cities of the 48 contiguous United States.
Noun 1. Line Company (TrAILCo), a subsidiary of Allegheny Energy Allegheny Energy (NYSE: AYE) is a traditional public utility based in the Pittsburgh suburb of Greensburg. It services communities in Western Pennsylvania, Western Maryland, Northern West Virginia, Northwest Virginia. , Inc. (NYSE NYSE
See: New York Stock Exchange : AYE), announced today an agreement with the Consumer Advocate Division, Staff of the Public Service Commission of West Virginia, and the West Virginia Energy Users Group regarding its planned 500-kilovolt transmission line project.
This agreement requires the acceptance of the Commission and final Commission approval of the Trans-Allegheny Interstate Line (TrAIL) project in West Virginia to take effect.
"This agreement demonstrates our commitment to balancing all interests and minimizing TrAIL's impact on customers, communities and the environment," said David E. Flitman, President of Allegheny Power and TrAILCo. "We commend com·mend
tr.v. com·mend·ed, com·mend·ing, com·mends
1. To represent as worthy, qualified, or desirable; recommend.
2. To express approval of; praise. See Synonyms at praise.
3. the parties to this agreement for their support and cooperative approach. The agreement would bring additional jobs to West Virginia, shield our West Virginia customers from project-related costs for seven years, provide funding for conservation and low-income energy assistance programs, and address many issues raised by the Commission's Staff.
"While some parties in the case still oppose the project, the fact remains that this infrastructure upgrade is critical to ensuring the reliable flow of electricity in West Virginia and across the Mid-Atlantic region."
Under the settlement agreement filed today, the parties have agreed that:
* Allegheny's West Virginia utilities (Monongahela Power Company and The Potomac Edison Company) and TrAILCo will locate 100 to 150 managerial, professional, technical, and administrative jobs in north-central West Virginia North-Central West Virginia is a region of the U.S. State of West Virginia. The region's largest city is Morgantown. Counties
* Monongahela Power and Potomac Edison will not seek recovery in West Virginia of the transmission charges associated with TrAIL (estimated to be more than $31 million) for the period from January 2007 through the latest of December 31, 2013, two and one-half years following the in-service date of the West Virginia segments of TrAIL, or the month in which the new West Virginia facility is placed in service.
* TrAILCo will contribute $5 million to fund energy conservation programs and assistance plans for low-income customers in West Virginia over a five-year period.
* Monongahela Power and Potomac Edison will provide rate relief in the form of credits totaling approximately $5.7 million to industrial customers for the years 2010 and 2011.
* The West Virginia segment of TrAIL should follow the route set forth in TrAILCo's application, except for certain modifications south of Morgantown, where the route will largely follow existing transmission corridors, as proposed by the Consumer Advocate.
* The Consumer Advocate, Commission Staff, and Energy Users Group will support the need for the portion of TrAIL from 502 Junction in Greene County Greene County is the name of fourteen counties in the United States of America, each named in honor of American Revolutionary War general Nathanael Greene:
In addition, TrAILCo has accepted, with certain modifications, many of the Staff's proposed conditions. For example, the company will:
* Provide homeowners the option to sell their residences to TrAILCo if the residence is within 400 feet of the line and the owner so desires; and
* Follow various guidelines guidelines,
n.pl a set of standards, criteria, or specifications to be used or followed in the performance of certain tasks. pertaining per·tain
intr.v. per·tained, per·tain·ing, per·tains
1. To have reference; relate: evidence that pertains to the accident.
2. to pre-construction and construction activities.
This agreement complements a previous agreement signed in January between TrAILCo and the Consumer Advocate, which the Commission will also consider as part of TrAILCo's request for project approval. The January agreement contains provisions allowing property owners to receive, as part of the easement easement, in law, the right to use the land of another for a specified purpose, as distinguished from the right to possess that land. If the easement benefits the holder personally and is not associated with any land he owns, it is an easement in gross (e.g. agreement, transmission credits equal to an average residential customer's annual electric bill for as long as the line is on a particular property. It also provides for minimal vegetation vegetation /veg·e·ta·tion/ (vej?e-ta´shun) any plantlike fungoid neoplasm or growth; a luxuriant fungus-like growth of pathologic tissue. clearing during TrAIL construction and prohibits aerial aerial: see antenna, in electronics. spraying of herbicides during maintenance of TrAIL in West Virginia.
Construction of the line is subject to approval of state regulatory commissions in West Virginia, Pennsylvania and Virginia. Allegheny expects a decision from the West Virginia Commission by not later than June 2, 2008, reflecting a one-month statutory deadline extension proposed by TrAILCo to give the Commission ample time to consider the settlement agreement. Allegheny expects decisions from Pennsylvania and Virginia later this year.
Headquartered in Greensburg, Pa., Allegheny Energy is an investor-owned electric utility with total annual revenues of over $3 billion and more than 4,000 employees. The company owns and operates generating facilities and delivers low-cost, reliable electric service to approximately 1.6 million customers in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Maryland and Virginia. For more information, visit our Web site at www.alleghenyenergy.com.
Forward-Looking Statements forward-looking statement
A projected financial statement based on management expectations. A forward-looking statement involves risks with regard to the accuracy of assumptions underlying the projections.
In addition to historical information, this release contains a number of "forward-looking statements" as defined in the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act The Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 (PSLRA) implemented several significant substantive changes affecting certain cases brought under the federal securities laws, including changes related to pleading, discovery, liability, class representation and awards fees and of 1995. Words such as anticipate, expect, project, intend, plan, believe, and words and terms of similar substance used in connection with any discussion of future plans, actions, or events identify forward-looking statements. These include statements with respect to: rate regulation and the status of retail generation service supply competition in states served by Allegheny Energy's distribution business, Allegheny Power; financing plans; demand for energy and the cost and availability of raw materials, including coal; provider-of-last-resort and power supply contracts; results of litigation An action brought in court to enforce a particular right. The act or process of bringing a lawsuit in and of itself; a judicial contest; any dispute.
When a person begins a civil lawsuit, the person enters into a process called litigation. ; results of operations; internal controls and procedures; capital expenditures; status and condition of plants and equipment; capacity purchase commitments; regulatory matters; and accounting issues. Forward-looking statements involve estimates, expectations and projections and, as a result, are subject to risks and uncertainties. There can be no assurance that actual results will not materially differ from expectations. Actual results have varied materially and unpredictably from past expectations. Factors that could cause actual results to differ materially include, among others, the following: plant performance and unplanned outages; changes in the price of power and fuel for electric generation; general economic and business conditions; changes in access to capital markets; complications or other factors that render it difficult or impossible to obtain necessary lender consents or regulatory authorizations on a timely basis; environmental regulations; the results of regulatory proceedings, including proceedings related to rates; changes in industry capacity, development and other activities by Allegheny Energy's competitors; changes in the weather and other natural phenomena; changes in customer switching behavior and their resulting effects on existing and future load requirements; changes in the underlying inputs and assumptions, including market conditions used to estimate the fair values of commodity contracts; changes in laws and regulations applicable to Allegheny Energy, its markets or its activities; the loss of any significant customers or suppliers; dependence on other electric transmission and gas transportation systems and their constraints CONSTRAINTS - A language for solving constraints using value inference.
["CONSTRAINTS: A Language for Expressing Almost-Hierarchical Descriptions", G.J. Sussman et al, Artif Intell 14(1):1-39 (Aug 1980)]. or availability; changes in PJM PJM Pacific Journal of Mathematics
PJM Project Manager
PJM Puerto Jimenez, Costa Rica (Airport code)
PJM Pennsylvania New Jersey Maryland Interconnection LLC (Mid-Atlantic region power pool) , including changes to participant rules and tariffs This is a list of tariffs and trade legislation: