Air Force Space Command.
Commander: Gen. C. Robert Kehler
Headquarters: Peterson AFB, Colo.
Command Chief Master Sgt.: Chief Master Sgt. Richard T. Small
Web address: www.afspc.af.mil
Air Force Space Command provides the land-based intercontinental ballistic missile portion of the nation's strategic nuclear deterrent forces.
It places high-value satellites in space with a variety of expendable launch systems and operates them to provide space capabilities to support combatant commanders around the clock. It provides navigation, communications, ballistic missile warning and intelligence warfighting support.
AFSPC operates sensors that provide direct attack warning and assessments to U.S. Strategic Command and North American Aerospace Defense Command A bi-national command of the US and Canada that provides aerospace surveillance, warning and assessment of aerospace attack, and maintains the sovereignty of US and Canadian airspace. Also called NORAD. .
The command develops, acquires, fields and sustains the Air Force Satellite Control Network The 'Air Force Satellite Control Network (AFSCN)' provides support for the operation, control and maintenance of a variety of DoD and some non DoD satellites. This involves continual execution of the tasks involved in Tracking, Telemetry and Command (TT&C). , Ballistic Missile Early Warning System An electronic system for providing detection and early warning of attack by enemy intercontinental ballistic missiles. Also called BMEWS. , Defense Satellite Communications System Geosynchronous military communications satellites that provide high data rate communications for military forces, diplomatic corps, and the White House. The Defense Satellite Communications System provides long-haul super-high frequency 7/8 gigahertz voice and high data rate , Wideband Global SATCOM Satellite, Defense Support Program, Global Positioning System, Milstar, Advanced Extremely High Frequency The Advanced Extremely High Frequency (AEHF) system is a joint service satellite communications system that provides global, secure, protected, and jam resistant communications for high-priority military ground, sea, and air assets. Satellite, Ground-Based Electro-Optical Deep Space Surveillance System, PAVE Phased Array Warning System radar, Minuteman III, Delta II, Delta IV, Atlas V and is lead command for the UH-1N Huey helicopter.
People Active duty 17,384 Officers 4,856 Enlisted 12,528 AFRC 1,298 ANG 845 Civilians 7,036 Total 26,563
14th Air Force, Air Forces Strategic-Space, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
* 21st Space Wing, Peterson AFB, Colo. (missile warning and space control)
* 30th Space Wing, Vandenberg AFB, Calif. (space launch, space and ICBM test support)
* 45th Space Wing, Patrick AFB, Fla. (space launch and shuttle support)
* 50th Space Wing, Schriever AFB, Colo. (satellite command and control)
* 460th Space Wing, Buckley AFB, Colo. (missile warning and global surveillance)
20th Air Force, F.E. Warren AFB, Wyo.
* 90th Missile Wing, F.E. Warren AFB, Wyo. (Minuteman III, UH-1N)
* 91st Missile Wing, Minot AFB, N.D. (Minuteman III, UH-1N)
* 341st Missile Wing, Malmstrom AFB, Mont. (Minuteman III, UH-1N)
Space Innovation and Development Center, Schriever AFB, Colo. (testing, training and tactics development)
Space and Missile Systems Center Based out of Los Angeles Air Force Base in California, the Space and Missile Systems Center (SMC) is a part of Air Force Space Command of the United States Air Force. Its mission is to conduct research and development of U.S. military outer space and missile systems. , Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
* Military Satellite Communication Systems Wing
* Global Positioning Systems Wing
* Space Based Infrared Systems Wing
* Launch and Range Systems Wing
* Space Superiority Systems Wing
* Space Development and Test Wing (Kirtland AFB, N.M.)
* 61st Air Base Wing (Los Angeles AFB, Calif.)
* 526th Intercontinental Ballistic Missile Systems Wing (Hill AFB, Utah)
** Projected for Fiscal Year 2009, the stand UP of Air Force Global Strike Command and 24th Air Force will lead to significant mission changes within AFSPC.