A history of the deanship of the School of Business, the University of South Dakota.
The University of South Dakota School of Business is enjoying new leadership with the naming of long-time faculty member Dr. Jerry W. Johnson as the Dean of the School of Business. "Jerry Johnson has the vision and leadership qualities to address the challenges that the School of Business will face in the future," said USD President Betty Asher in making the announcement of Johnson's appointment to the deanship. "He has a commitment to quality teaching and research, and offers outstanding administrative and communicative skills with the faculty, students, and constituents," she added.
Continued economic development of the state also ranks high in Johnson's priorities. He is currently Executive Director of the South Dakota Council for Economic Education, and Vice Chairman of the National Advisory Council for the US Small Business Administration. Johnson also served as a Visiting Scholar on the staff of the Joint Economic Committee of Congress in Washington, DC.
Johnson is not new to the School of Business. He joined the Department of Economics in 1967 and has continued to teach in that department. Johnson was the Director of the Business Research Bureau from 1977-1985. A considerable expansion of the Business Research Bureau, including the inception of the Small Business Development Center and the State Data Center, took place under his direction. He also served as Associate Dean in 1985- 86. Johnson officially began his duties as Dean on July 1, 1990.
Johnson is a native of Milford, IA. His educational background includes a Master of Business Administration from USD in 1965, and a Ph. D. in economics from Iowa State University at Ames in 197 1. He received a Bachelor of Art,,, degree in business administration from Buena Vista College (Storm Lake, IA) in 1962.
Johnson is the fourth official Dean of the School of Business, following in the tradition of the School's meritorious leadership. The following is a brief summary of the history of the School of Business and its leaders.
The School of Business has its roots in the College of Arts and Sciences; prior to the formal establishment of a school, business classes were offered under the Department of Economics. The initial effort of establishing an official school can be credited to Dr. Frank T. Stockton, Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences from 1917 - 1924. Stockton, an economist, realized the growing importance of commerce education and in 1923 launched an expansion of relative course offerings and faculty. Allegiance to the program was further evidenced by the formation of a local chapter of the national commerce fraternity, Delta Sigma Pi, toward the end of that school year.
Stockton accepted the opportunity to become the Dean of the newly established School of Business at the University of Kansas, and left USD in the spring of 1924.
Dr. Earle S. Sparks, also an economist, succeeded Stockton as Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences in 1924, the academic year immediately following the expansion of the commerce department. Sparks proceeded with the movement toward establishing a School of Business; four courses in accounting, seven courses in business administration, and courses in marketing, business law, and finance were offered in the next academic catalog.
Thus the intangible foundation for the School of Business was in place, and the future of the school was in the hands of the Board of Regents. Formal action came on May 19, 1927, establishing the School of Business Administration (officially changed to the School of Business in 1956) and the School of Education. This welcome news was somewhat clouded, however, as the Board of Regents specified that it would "entail no additional faculty instructors at this time."
Dr. Sparks left the deanship of the College of Arts and Sciences to become the first Dean of the School of Business. Despite the handicaps of little money and resources, the School of Business thrived and grew, conferring the first degrees of Bachelor of Science in Business Administration during the June, 1929 commencement ceremony.
Sparks overcame a number of other obstacles in his quest to make the School of Business a success; among them the depression years and World War 11. His interest in and ambitions for the School are still apparent today. Sparks recognized the value of accreditation by the American Association of Collegiate Schools of Business, and the process of accreditation was initiated during his administration. He can also be credited with several other important ventures, including two which are still an integral part of the School of Business: the Business Research Bureau and the Business Advisory Council.
The Business Research Bureau was proposed in 1930, and was finally established as part of the School of Business in 1937. The Bureau "was to serve as a fact finding organization and to extend the facilities of the Business School to the business men operating in the state." On May 15, 1942, the first issue of the South Dakota Business Review was published; it has been published quarterly since that time.
The Business Advisory Council was organized in 1941 with the original purpose of providing suggestions regarding possible areas of research to the Business Research Bureau. The first council had 27 members; one person from every trade and farm organization in South Dakota. Its role and member profile have changed considerably but the Business Advisory Council remains a vital link between the School of Business and the South Dakota business community.
Sparks retired from the deanship on July 1, 1946. He remained a part-time instructor for another year, and then left the School of Business entirely to pursue farming interests.
Dr. Robert F. Patterson came to the School of Business as its second Dean on July 1, 1946. The University as a whole was in a time of growth and change as veterans home from World War 11 were takin- advantage of the GI Bill of Rights, often bringing with them wives and families and considerably changing the profile of the student population
Patterson tackled the demands of increased enrollment by committing himself to enlarging and improving the programs available and strengthening the staff within the School of Business. He also turned his attention to securing accreditation by the American Association of Collegiate Schools of Business, a process begun during Sparks's administration. In April of 1951, due to the efforts of Patterson, business school faculty, and USD President I.D. Weeks, full accreditation was granted.
The needs of the burgeoning college population led to one of Patterson's biggest challenges. In 1946, 14 students were enrolled in the School of Business; by 1950 that number has escalated to 124. The need for a new home for the School was apparent as classroom and office space rapidly became scarce in its original Old Main location.
The machinery for obtaining funding for a new building was set in motion in 1950 by a resolution passed by the Business Advisory Council; this resolution formally appealed to President Weeks to support a request to the legislature for funding. In February of 1955, the bill for appropriation of $650,000 passed unanimously and was signed by Governor Joe Foss. On April 12, 1956, President Weeks turned the first shovel of earth and construction on the new building
commenced. Students enrolled in classes in the summer of 1957 were the first to enjoy the new facility.
Patterson expanded the range of services offered to students and the university community in a number of other ways. The formation of the Business Placement Bureau in 1951 served to assist graduates of the School of Business in procuring suitable employment. The Business Research Bureau underwent its first expansion in 1948 with additional staff and became a charter member of the Association for University Business and Economic Research.
The Master of Business Administration degree program was reinstated during Patterson's tenure, with the two-fold purpose of preparing candidates for executive positions and preparing candidates for college teaching professions. Five MBA candidates began attending classes for the program in the summer of 1958.
Dean Patterson is remembered by students for his insistence upon dress code (collar and tie mandatory for all male students) and the sense of pride and professionalism instilled in the students and staff of the School of Business. His own pride in the school was apparent; he could sometimes be found working on the grounds of the school, keeping its exterior with the same care he nurtured its programs. Patterson retired from the School of Business in 1968 to the community of Vermillion. Recognition for his dedication and achievements was formalized on October 1, 1971, when the School of Business building was renamed and dedicated Patterson Hall.
In 1969, after serving a year as Interim Dean, Dr. Dale Clement was named the third Dean of the School of Business. Clement came to the School of Business in 1963 as ail Assistant Professor of Finance. and continued to teach Finance courses throughout his tenure at USD.
Clement was truly a dean for the students, and could often be found offering individual assistance and guidance in course selection or career direction. He is remembered for his instituting an "open door" policy for students and staff, and welcomed visits, comments, and suggestions.
The School of Business grew tremendously in numbers and in programs during Clement's administration. Undergraduate and graduate enrollment more than tripled - 420 students were enrolled in 1969; in 1989, the School of Business had 1,505 students. Consequently, the size of the faculty grew as well, from 20 to 40, and the number of support and technical staff grew from 3 to 30.
Academic achievements under Clement include the establishment of the South Dakota Council on Economic Education and the Henry T. Quinn Center for Economic Education, both in 1969. An international studies program, the European Study Tour, has taken juniors and seniors enrolled in the School of Business to Europe to study and observe other economic systems. Opportunities for student internships through the business school number about 200 per year. Over 115 scholarships, totaling approximately $80,000 are awarded annually to School of Business students, a great increase from the 13 scholarships available at the beginning of Clement's administration.
Outreach programs established by Clement have taken classes to undergraduate and graduate students ill various locations in South Dakota and Iowa. Students in Sioux Falls. Sioux City, and Ellsworth Air Force Base (Rapid City) now have the opportunity to complete the entire MBA degree through extension services.
Service to the state also expanded during Clement's reign. The Business Research Bureau umbrella grew to encompass new additions including the State Data Center, Information Services Division, Survey & Research Laboratory, Small Business Institute, and the Business Request Service. Programs servicing the needs of the business people in the state were also developed; these include theSniall Business Development Center, the Procurement Technical Assistance Center, and the Native American Economic Development Project.
After spending his entire career in education, including 26 years at USD, Clement accepted the position of Senior-Vice President and Chief Financial Officer for the Black Hills Corporation in Rapid City. Clement left an indelible mark on the School of Business, and will be remembered for his dedication to the University and its students.
During the interim year between Clement's and Johnson's administrations, the School of Business was under the direction of Dr. Galen Hadley. Hadley had served as Interim President of the University of South Dakota for the academic year 1988-89. He has a history of leadership at USD, holding the position of Vice President for Academic Affairs in 1985-88 and Vice President for Administration and University Relations in 1984-85. Hadley joined the School of Business in 1972 as an Assistant Professor of Accounting, and continues to teach in that department.
As the University expands its horizons and becomes visible throughout the state, the School of Business will further increase its services to the business community and citizens of South Dakota. "We are in a new era in the development of professional business education. The School of Business is prepared and looks forward to moving aggressively into this new era and beyond," stresses Jerry Johnson. Within the academic sector, Johnson is committed to delivering the best education possible and fostering the school's commendable reputation. This includes hiring quality faculty and continuing to develop the school's programs of instruction. Steps that have already been taken in that direction include the restructuring of departments within the School of Business. The Business Advisory Council is undergoing reorganization to better join the students and the business community.
The School of Business has experienced remarkable changes since its humble beginnings as a few course listings under the Department of Economics. Its graduates can be found in every state in the nation, and placement from this well-reputed school is well above the national average. The building is once again bursting at its seams as the enrollment continues to climb and programs continue to expand to meet the growing needs of a changing population. The growth and expansion of the School of Business, as well as the growth of the University, promises to continue, and the future of the School of Business will prove to be as great as its history.
Cummins, Cedric. The University of South Dakota, 1862 - 1966. Vermillion, SD: Dakota Press, 1975.
Johnson, Jerry. USD School of Business, Vermillion, South Dakota. Interview, August 1990.
Patterson, Robert F. "A History of Thirty Years: 1927 - 1957." The Business Research Bureau Bulletin Number 57. Vermillion, SD: Business Research Bureau, 1958.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Title Annotation:||South Dakota, University of. School of Business|
|Publication:||South Dakota Business Review|
|Date:||Sep 1, 1990|
|Previous Article:||Trend of business.|
|Next Article:||Economic development in South Dakota.|