A General Neural Network for Processing Stimuli Known to Elicit Sexual Arousal, Disgust, or Amusement.A General Neural Network neural network or neural computing, computer architecture modeled upon the human brain's interconnected system of neurons. Neural networks imitate the brain's ability to sort out patterns and learn from trial and error, discerning and extracting for Processing Stimuli Known to Elicit Sexual Arousal sexual arousal Horny/horniness, randy/randiness Physiology A state of sexual 'yellow alert' which has a mental component–↑ cortical responsiveness to sensory stimulation, and physical component–↑ penile sensitivity, neural response to stimuli, , Disgust, or Amusement, Sherif she·rif also sha·rif
1. A descendant of the prophet Muhammad through his daughter Fatima.
2. The chief magistrate of Mecca in Ottoman times.
3. A Moroccan prince or ruler. G. Karama, McGill University McGill University, at Montreal, Que., Canada; coeducational; chartered 1821, opened 1829. It was named for James McGill, who left a bequest to establish it. Its real development dates from 1855 when John W. Dawson became principal. and University of Montreal; Mario Beauregard, University of Montreal
An important question regarding the neural underpinnings of human emotion is whether there exists a general neural network involved in processing emotional stimuli across all emotions. We obtained brain activation differentials by comparing validated visual dynamic stimuli shown to elicit amusement, disgust, or sexual arousal with controlled neutral stimuli. Using functional magnetic resonance imaging functional magnetic resonance imaging
n. Abbr. fMRI
Magnetic resonance imaging that provides three-dimensional images of the brain based on changes in blood flow and that can be correlated with brain functions. (fMRI) and a conjunction analysis, we found these dynamic visual stimuli produced a significantly increased bilateral activation of the same widely-distributed neural network for both men and women. The neural network, found to be activated by subsequently implementing a conjunction analysis between emotion and gender, comprises most limbic limbic /lim·bic/ (lim´bik) pertaining to a limbus, or margin; see also under system.
1. Of, relating to, or characterized by a limbus.
2. and some paralimbic areas and includes areas considered involved in motivational drives, attention, and subjective feeling states. Finding a distributed common pattern of activation as induced by such a wide range of emotional stimuli strongly suggests the existence, at least for the visual modality, of a general neural network that is preferentially activated when one is processing emotional dynamic stimuli. Furthermore, these results suggest that most brain imaging findings pertaining to the characterization of the neural network involved in processing sexual stimuli are not specific to such stimuli.