2008 pride guide: your definitive list of this year's celebrations. We've also chosen four not-so-expected destinations overseas and told you just how to create your own exotic pride. Enjoy![ILLUSTRATIONS OMITTED]
LAS VEGAS Las Vegas (läs vā`gəs), city (1990 pop. 258,295), seat of Clark co., S Nev.; inc. 1911. It is the largest city in Nevada and the center of one of the fastest-growing urban areas in the United States.
TULSA, OKLA OKLA Oklahoma (old style) .
MAY 24-JUNE 15
Highlights: Eric Himan
LONG BEACH, CALIF.
Highlights: Sheena Easton Sheena Easton (born Sheena Shirley Orr on April 27, 1959, Bellshill, North Lanarkshire, Scotland) is a Scottish Grammy Award-winning pop singer and theatre & television actress. , KC and the Sunshine Band, Deborah Cox, the Bangles, Ivy Queen Ivy Queen (born Martha Ivelisse Pesante on March 4, 1972 in Añasco, Puerto Rico) is a Latin Grammy nominated composer and singer who is known as "La Diva", "La Gata", "La Caballota", and "La Reina del Reggaeton", "The Queen of Reggaeton". , Kat DeLuna
CENTRAL ALABAMA Central Alabama is the region in the state of Alabama that stretches approximately 170 miles (270 km) from the western border with Mississippi to eastern border with Georgia and PRIDE
MAY 30-JUNE 8
Highlights: Ultra Nate, Pepper Mashay Pepper Mashay (real name Jean McClain) is a Urban/Soul music,House music and Club/Dance singer-songwriter who has had success as a touring and studio performer. Career
As a lead vocalist, Mashay has released many tracks that have performed well on the U.S.
KANSAS CITY Kansas City, two adjacent cities of the same name, one (1990 pop. 149,767), seat of Wyandotte co., NE Kansas (inc. 1859), the other (1990 pop. 435,146), Clay, Jackson, and Platte counties, NW Mo. (inc. 1850). , MO.
MAY 30-JUNE 1
Highligths: Martha Wash Martha Wash (born December 28, 1953, in San Francisco, California) is an R&B, Soul music, House music and Club/Dance singer/songwriter. Early Career
Wash began her music career as a backing singer for Sylvester. , 2 Unlimited, Deborah Cox, DC Cowboys dance company
MAY 30-JUNE 8
DETROIT (FERNDALE, MICH v. i. 1. To lie hid; to skulk; to act, or carry one's self, sneakingly. .)
Highlights: Eric Himan; Where's Betty?; screening of Kiss the Bride in Royal Oak; doggy drag show
Highlights: Ultra Nate, Kristine W
COLUMBUS, OHIO Columbus is the capital and the largest city of the American state of Ohio. Named for explorer Christopher Columbus, the city was founded in 1812 at the confluence of the Scioto and Olentangy rivers, and assumed the functions of state capital in 1816.
Highlights: Bitch and Ferron, the Hamiltons, Melissa Ferrick, Josh Zuckerman Josh Zuckerman may be:
Pride Golf Classic
LOS ANGELES Los Angeles (lôs ăn`jələs, lŏs, ăn`jəlēz'), city (1990 pop. 3,485,398), seat of Los Angeles co., S Calif.; inc. 1850.
Highlights: Olivia Newton-John, Joss Stone, Frenchie Davis Franchelle "Frenchie" Davis (born May 7, 1979 in Washington DC) is a former American Idol contestant (season 2) who was disqualified in 2003 for appearing in topless photos on the Internet. , Supreme Beings of Leisure, Michelle Penn, Kimberley Locke;
dyke march Dyke March is a mostly lesbian led and inclusive gathering and protest march much like the original gay pride parades and marches. They usually occur the Friday or Saturday before LGBT Pride Parades and larger metropolitan areas have related events (parties, benefits, dances) both ; "Carnal carnal adjective Referring to the flesh, to baser instincts, often referring to sexual “knowledge” Carnival"
Highlights: Wanda Sykes Wanda Sykes (born March 7, 1964), also known as Wanda Sykes-Hall, is an Emmy-winning American stand-up comedian and actress. She is well known for her blunt observations on current events, the difference between the sexes and races, and life in general. , Indigo Girls Indigo Girls are an American folk rock duo, consisting of Amy Ray and Emily Saliers. They got their start in Atlanta as a regular act at The Little 5 Points Pub and were tangentially part of the Athens, Georgia college rock scene that included The B-52's, Pylon, R.E.M. , Natasha Bedingfield; Wisconsin Pride Idol
SALT LAKE CITY
Highlights: Meshell Ndegeocello
Highlights: Celebrity grand marshal Grand Marshal is a ceremonial, military, or political office of very high rank. The term has its origins with the word "Marshal" with the first usage of the term "Grand Marshal" as a ceremonial title for certain religious orders. Leslie Jordan
CENTRAL HEW YORK PRIDE
KEY WEST, FLA FLA Florida (old style)
FLA Macromedia Flash (file extension)
FLA Flash Files (file extension)
FLA Fair Labor Association
FLA Front Line Assembly .
NEW ENGLAND New England, name applied to the region comprising six states of the NE United States—Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut. The region is thought to have been so named by Capt. TRANSGENDER transgender or transgendered
Highlights: Rally speakers Leslie Feinberg Leslie Feinberg (born September 1, 1949) is a transgender activist, speaker, and author. Feinberg is a high ranking member of the Workers World Party and a managing editor of Workers World newspaper. and Jill Meredith Berlin; Joe Stevens of Coyote Grace; Boston's All the
Kings Men drag troupe
BOISE, IDAHO “Boise” redirects here. For other uses, see Boise (disambiguation).
Boise is the capital and most populous city of the U.S. state of Idaho. It is the county seat of Ada County and the principal city of the Boise metropolitan area.
Highlights: Boise Queer Idol; rally speakers Robert Ryan “Robert Ryan” redirects here. For the Liberal Member of the Canadian House of Commons, see Robert Ryan (Canadian politician).
Robert Bushnell Ryan (November 11, 1909 – July 11, 1973) was an Academy Award and BAFTA award-nominated Irish-American actor born and Ralph Martinelli, who made national news when they lost
their domestic-partner benefits after they moved to Idaho from New Jersey
Highlights: Amber, God-des and She God-Des and She are a lesbian hip hop duo from the United States.
God-Des has a voice and style similar to Da Brat, yet draws attention because of her controversial lyrics, similar to the shock value of Eminem. , Deep Dickollective, Frenchie Davis, Josh Zuckerman
Highlights: Kristine W
DES MOINES, IOWA “Des Moines” redirects here. For other uses, see Des Moines (disambiguation).
Des Moines (pronounced /dɪˈmɔɪn/ in English,
Highlights: Thea Austin, Paris Bennett
SAN JOSE, CALIF.
Highlights: Ari Gold, Frenchie Davis; Family Day; Dance in the Park; women's concert
Highlights: Frank DeCaro, Eddie Sarfaty, the Cliks, Raina, Kimberley Locke
Highlights: Sandra Bernhard, Ari Gold, Kristine W, DJ Escape; Girl4Girl night; evening Pride cruise aboard the Spirit of Seattle
JUNE 20-22 and 27-29
Highlights: En Vogue, Deborah Cox
OMAHA Omaha, city, United States
Omaha (ō`məhä, –hô), city (1990 pop. 335,795), seat of Douglas co., E Nebr., on the west bank of the Missouri River; inc. 1857.
Highlights: Kristine W, Guy B, Christine O'Leary, Brian Kent
FLAGSTAFF Flagstaff, city (1990 pop. 45,857), seat of Coconino co., N Ariz., near the San Francisco Peaks; inc. 1894. Lumbering, ranching, and a lively tourist trade thrive in the region, where many ruined pueblos, numerous state parks, several lakes, and large pine forests , ARIZ ARIZ Arizona (old style) .
Highlights: CeCe Peniston, Frenchie Davis, Momma, Chris Pureka, Jason and deMarco
Highlights: Mel C, Dragonette, Uh Huh Her, the Hidden Cameras
FORT LAUDERDALE, FLA.
Highlights: Crystal Waters, Tammy Wright, DJ Joe Bermudez
Highlights: Pope Jane, Josh Zuckerman
Highlights: Grand marshal Joe McDermott, gay state senator; and a doggy marching section, Pooches for Pride
NEW YORK CITY New York City: see New York, city.
New York City
City (pop., 2000: 8,008,278), southeastern New York, at the mouth of the Hudson River. The largest city in the U.S.
Highlights: Dance at the Pier with DJ Tracey Young and DJ Joe Gauthreaux; women's dance, Rapture on the River; grand marshals Candis Cayne (trans actress, Dirty Sexy Money Dirty Sexy Money is a American television series, created by Craig Wright, who also serves as executive producer alongside Greg Berlanti, Bryan Singer, Matthew Gross, Peter Horton and Josh Reims, with Melissa Berman producing. Horton also directed the pilot. ) and Gilbert Baker (the rainbow flag creator)
Highlights: God-des and She, Sista Otis and the Wholly Rollers, Gregory Douglass, Julie Loyd, Bridgewater, Kung Fu
Highlights: Martha Wash, God-des and She, Jen Foster, Eric Himan, Jason and deMarco; pet parade; mass commitment
ST. PETERSBURG, FLA.
Highlights: Comedy festival with Ant and Christine O'Leary
Highlights: Celebrity grand marshal Charo
Highlights: YouthPride Prom; mass commitment ceremony: AIDS Memorial Quilt display; children's show featuring
storytelling and musical entertainment; and a Lambda car show for homo autophiles
CHESAPEAKE BAY AREA, MD.
Highlights: Josh Zuckerman, Rodie Ray, Melissa Reaves
JERSEY CITY, N.J.
REHOBOTH BEACH, DEL.
BLACK/LATINO GAY PRIDE EVENTS
DC BLACK PRIDE
Highlights: Fantasia fantasia (făntā`zhə) [Ital.,=fancy], musical composition not restricted to a formal design, but constructed freely in the manner of an improvisation. In the 16th and 17th cent.
ORLANDO BLACK PRIDE
Highlights: Comedy revue hosted by BET's Tight Mike; poetry slam contest; Independent Women's Football League's Orlando
PORTLAND LATINO GAY PRIDE
Highlights: "Fire & Ink" literary event with authors James Earl Hardy, Lisa C. Moore, and Jonathan Plummer
PORTLAND BLACK PRIDE
SOUTH CAROLINA South Carolina, state of the SE United States. It is bordered by North Carolina (N), the Atlantic Ocean (SE), and Georgia (SW). Facts and Figures
Area, 31,055 sq mi (80,432 sq km). Pop. (2000) 4,012,012, a 15. BLACK PRIDE
CHICAGO WINDY CITY BLACK PRIDE
WINDY CITY BLACK PRIDE
LOS ANGELES BLACK PRIDE
CHARLOTTE GAY BLACK PRIDE
MIAMI BEACH BRUTHAZ
Highlights: Fashion show and male model competition; pool and bowling tournament; shopping spree
LITTLE ROCK BLACK PRIDE
DETROIT'S HOTTER THAN JULY
PRIDE IN THE CITY
JULY 31-AUGUST 3
ATLANTA BLACK GAY PRIDE
AUGUST 27-SEPTEMBER 2
Highlights: See Us in the Life Film Festival; fashion show; poetry slam
NASHVILLE BLACK PRIDE
FOREIGN DESTINATION: MEXICO CITY
MarchaLGBT.com (in Spanish)
Highlights: Fiery-hot DJ Offer Nissim will close the event.
* How to Get There Mexicana Airlines (Mexicana. com) has direct flights from New York New York, state, United States
New York, Middle Atlantic state of the United States. It is bordered by Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and the Atlantic Ocean (E), New Jersey and Pennsylvania (S), Lakes Erie and Ontario and the Canadian province of , Los Angeles, and other U.S. cities.
* Where to Stay For nonstop queer energy and bars/clubs at your doorstep, Zona Rosa's Sheraton Maria Isabel Hotel and Towers The Sheraton Maria Isabel Hotel and Towers is a member of the United States-owned Sheraton Hotels and Resorts chain. Sheraton María Isabel is located on Paseo de la Reforma in the exclusive Zona Rosa business and shopping district just across from El Ángel de la Independencia in (StarwoodHotels.com/Sheraton). But if hip vibes and aesthetics are the air that you breathe, the Condesa DF (CondesaDF.com), Camino Real Mexico (CaminoReal.com/ Mexico), and W Mexico City (StarwoodHotels. com/WHotels) represent pure oxygen.
* Where to Eat The Condesa DF's El Patio for international fare and fab mixologist-created libations; care La Buena Tierra preps super-fresh organic brunch and lunch; Aguila y Sol's frozen margaritas, made from fresh fruit, rank among the city's best; and Pujol for deconstructed/nouveau twists on traditional Mexican dishes and a great wine selection.
* Where the Action Is Zona Rosa's ever-changing lineup of gay bars--Lipstick, Boy Bar, and Living--will be sure to hop, but trendy/alternative parties are found via word of mouth or on MySpace. (Check out the page Of gender-bending electronica artist Zemmoa (MySpace. com/Zemmoa and her friends.)
* You Should Know Young men working the emo Look--skinny jeans-fauxhawks-eyeliner--should take caution, as there has been a recent slate of bashings. "I don't think the emo bashings have to do with homophobia," opines Opines are low molecular weight compounds found in plant crown gall tumors produced by the parasitic bacterium Agrobacterium. Opine biosynthesis is catalyzed by specific enzymes encoded by genes contained in a small segment of DNA (known as the T-DNA, for 'transfer DNA') Ali Gardoqui, an out electro-punk singer and DJ, "but they definitely have something to do with tolerance and identity. It's mostly heavy metal guys kicking the shit out of little boys, probably because they're jealous since emos are prettier and girls love them." You may also notice locals drinking bright red soft drinks made from hibiscus juice.
FOREIGN DESTINATION: COLOMBO, SRI LANKA
JUNE 29-JULY 6
Highlights: "I Have a Dream" drag show with Sri Lanka's leading gender-bending stars; a film festival; the Rainbow Kite festival on Mount Lavinia beach; and a performance by San Francisco's Sins Invalid troupe, composed of LGBTs with disabilities
* How to Get There No direct flights from the United States, so hit the Web and take your pick.
* Where to Stay Gorgeous boutique property Park Street (TaruVillas.com/ParkHotel.html) provides romantic getaway ambience within central Colombo, and it's run by a lesbian-owned company, according to Rosanna Flamer-Caldera of local Pride organization Equal Ground. Other recommendations include the Trans Asia (TransAsiaHotel.com), Hotel Renuka (RenukaHotel.com), and Cinnamon Grand (CinnamonHotels.com/Grand/ CinnamonGrand.htm).
* Where to Eat Lesbian-owned Number 48; the Gallery Cafe; the Bay Leaf, sometimes locally referred to as Gay Leaf; and for a fix of superb authentic Sri Lankan food. the Peninsula (which serves Jaffna cuisine of the Sri Lankan northern peninsula), and Hotel Renuka's Palmyrah restaurant.
* Where the Action Is July 4's Rainbow Pride party. And while there are no officially gay- or lesbian-designated bars in Sri Lanka. LGBT-friendly venues include the Agency and Rhythm and Blues rhythm and blues (R&B)
Any of several closely related musical styles developed by African American artists. The various styles were based on a mingling of European influences with jazz rhythms and tonal inflections, particularly syncopation and the flatted blues chords. .
* Your Should Know Homosexual acts are still illegal in Sri Lanka, yet the city nonetheless boasts a vibrant queer community. "Apart from this, Colombo is a shopper's paradise for designer clothing at unbelievable prices," Flamer-Caldera adds. "Visit Odel Shop and Cotton Collection while you're in Colombo."
FOREIGN DESTINATION: STOCKHOLM EUROPRIDE
JULY 25-AUGUST 3
StockholmPride.org/en/Know/Buy-tickets (The site's only English page as of press time)
* How to Get There Scandinavian Airlines/SAS (FlySAS.com) offers three classes, including Economy Extra, featuring roomier seats and personal electric outlets.
* Where to Stay No shortage of design-centric boutique gems here. The thoroughly modern Hotel Rival (Rival.se) is housed in a former movie theater, close to many LGBT LGBT Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender bars, and owned by Benny Andersson of ABBA. Hotel Hellsten (Hellsten.se/eng) marries rustic Swedish and modern flourish. The brand-new Hotel Stureplan (HotelStureplan.se/ en) hearkens back to old Swedish style in a 19th-century building. And Nordic Light, which offers in-room light therapy (as in rays of light). is gorgeously chic (NordicLightHotel.se/en).
* Where to Eat Luxurious and pricey Fredsgatan (a.k.a. F12) earned a Michelin star for chef Melker Andersson's sublime taste combinations; stunning decor and fresh seasonal New Swedish with an Asian accent at Pontus; L Word-type lesbians are drawn to Roxy for Mediterranean fusion and drinks; and bar-restaurant Malar malar /ma·lar/ (ma´lar)
1. buccal; pertaining to the cheek.
Of or relating to the cheekbone or the cheek.
The cheekbone. Paviljongen is a gay fave fave Informal
One that is preferred above others or likely to win; a favorite.
[Short for favorite.] .
* Where the Action Is The Old Town district's Chokladkoppen cafe is unbeatable for pastry, coffee, and cute gay waiters. GOken is all about camp and cocktail values. Disco bunnies proceed to Lino and Club G. And on Sunday nights the Patricia yacht hosts Stockholm's queerest party with an arsenal of Eurovision Song Contest tunes on board.
* You Should Know Stockholm is so LGBTQ-friendly, it's redundant to dub any of the previously mentioned spots "LGBTQ-friendly." One of Sweden's most famous lesbians, model turned pop star turned hot clothing designer Efva Attling, has a must-visit namesake shop in the hip Sodermalm hood. And to really go local, try a fried herring from the Nystekt Stromming stand.
FOREIGN DESTINATION: REYKJAVIK, ICELAND
Highlights: Entertainers Carole Pope, Stereo Total, and Swivel
* How to Get There Icelandair (Icelandair.com), is very stopover-friendly, so Reykjavik can be your destination to or from other Scandinavian cities.
* Where to Stay Roomy apartment-hotel complex Room With a View (RoomWithAView.is) is ideally located smack-dab in the city Center along the parade route, with many rooms having lovely views to boot; or IcelandAir Hotels (IceHotels.is).
* Where to Eat Gay-owned traditional Danish-Style restaurant Jomfruin (the Virgin), and the excellent mostly fish restaurant Via Tjornina is popular both with gays and international celebrities.
* Where the Action Is Q Bar draws both gays and lesbians, while leather/fetish bar MSC-Iceland is strictly male-only. Other popular nightspots include Organ and Nasa.
* You Should Know If you're feeling all Anthony Bourdain--y chaiienge yourself with the traditional Icelandic delicacy, hakarl cubes of fermented shark meat buried for months in shallow ground. "People should not eat it without a few shots of Brennivin," advises Reykjavik Pride's Heimir Mar Petursson, "the Icelandic vodka with the nickname 'Black Death.'"