10 Ways to Learn Patience Now!Do you often feel frustrated, misunderstood, burned out, forgotten, agitated, restless, stressed out or angry? Learning patience can help you feel satisfaction, understood, accomplished, remembered, calm, peaceful, relaxed and happy. Here are 10 things you can do (or begin) now to flex your patience muscle, no matter how puny you think it is:
1. Determine the difference between the things you control, the things you can influence and the things over which you have no control or influence. Spend the bulk of your time and attention on the things which you control. This is where you can make the biggest difference. Spend your remaining time and attention on the things you can influence, knowing things may or may not go your way. Let go of the things over which you have no control or influence as any time or attention spent on these is ineffective and wasted.
2. Take life one day at a time. Treat each day as a treasured gift, because that is exactly what it is! Yesterday is done and tomorrow has not yet arrived, so make the most of today because it is all you have to work with anyway.
3. Accept that you are human. We are growing, learning and changing all the time. As humans, we make mistakes. Get over it and get on with life.
4. Forgive yourself for your mistakes, weaknesses and imperfections. Review them, learn from them, forgive yourself and move on.
5. Reframe your world view. Instead of beating yourself up over past mistakes, accept them as part of who you are today. Life is about progress, not perfection.
6. Make plans, including Plan B. Plan your life and follow your plan, but have a Plan B ready in case things do not go the way you expect. Life throws us curve balls all the time, so be ready for them.
7. Set big goals and plan baby steps. You can accomplish any goal by breaking it down into doable steps which keep you motivated along the way. Celebrate each time you complete a step toward your goal.
8. Confront your fears about not reaching your goals. Remember that the world was not created in one day. The tallest trees start out as little seeds and take years to grow into their strength and beauty. Every step you take brings you closer to the results you desire.
9. Let go of worry. Worrying about tomorrow saps your energy and strength today. Instead, use that energy to work toward your goals.
10. Become your own best friend. You are the only person you will live with your entire life, so get to know yourself well and treat yourself as the valuable person you are.
Use these steps a part of your personal growth plan and watch peace, joy and happiness grow in your life.
Suzanne Bird-Harris is an accomplished coach and writer assisting women in stealing back their thunder by shortening their learning curves in life. Subscribe to receive her e-book, "Go to the Balcony to Get a Grip" at Learning Curve Coaching.