'X-2' HITS $100 MILLION IN SIX DAYS.Byline: Greg GREG Great Egg Harbor National Scenic and Recreational River (US National Park Service) Hernandez Staff Writer
Taking just six days, ``X2: X-Men United'' became the fastest film released so far in 2003 to reach the $100 million mark, according to according to
1. As stated or indicated by; on the authority of: according to historians.
2. In keeping with: according to instructions.
3. box office figures released Thursday.
The 20th Century Fox sequel to ``X-Men'' earned $4.9 million in box office revenue Wednesday to up its cumulative gross to $103 million. ``X2'' opened last weekend with an impressive $85.5 million in ticket sales, the fourth-biggest opening of all time.
``Even in today's jaded jad·ed
1. Worn out; wearied: "My father's words had left me jaded and depressed" William Styron.
2. world of box office where people become used to films opening at $80 million-plus and nobody bats an eyelash eyelash /eye·lash/ (-lash) cilium; one of the hairs growing on the edge of an eyelid.
1. Any of the short hairs fringing the edge of the eyelid. Also called cilium. , a six-day sprint to $100 million in box office is still an impressive achievement,'' said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box office tracker Exhibitor Relations Co. ``There's not that many films in that sub-seven-day club of films that make $100 million in less than a week.''
A year ago, ``Spider-Man'' set the all-time record of $100 million box- office sprinters by reaching that amount after just three days in theaters, while ``Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones'' took four days. In all, only nine films have ever reached the milestone in six days or less.
The other 2003 releases to earn at least $100 million took far longer than ``X2.'' They are ``Anger Management'' (three weeks); ``Bringing Down the House'' (four weeks); ``How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days'' (8 weeks); and ``Daredevil''(7.5 weeks).
Helping along the fast grosses for ``X2'' was the widest release ever for a film: a record 3,741 locations accounting for 62 percent of the nation's approximately 6,000 theaters.
The Eddie Murphy Edward "Eddie" Regan Murphy (born April 3, 1961) is an Academy Award nominated, Golden Globe Award-winning American actor and comedian. He was a regular cast member on Saturday Night Live from 1980 to 1984, and has worked as a stand-up comedian. comedy ``Daddy Day Care,'' a Sony Pictures Entertainment release opening today, will be the only major new release competing with ``X2'' this weekend before the highly anticipated sequel ``The Matrix Reloaded'' from Warner Bros BROS Brothers
BROS Benefits and Retirement Operations Section (King County, Washington)
BROS Barnes and Richmond Operatic Society (London, UK) . comes out on May 15.