'LEGENDARY RACERS' START THEIR ENGINES AT DOLLYWOOD
Part of Special Exhibit for 1995
PIGEON FORGE, Tenn., March 29 /PRNewswire/ -- Race fans, start your engines for a trip to Dollywood during 1995, as the green flag signals the start of an exciting and unique new attraction debuting at the entertainment park's Grand Opening celebration April 22-23.
"Legendary Racers" is a classic collection of vintage racing cars from the first half of this century that were instrumental in shaping the early days of stock car racing. Located by the Pines Theatre in Dollywood's new "Jukebox Junction" area, which is a tribute to the 1950s, these mechanical racing marvels valued at approximately $1 million are literally a "Who's Who" of racing's earliest "car stars" and are on loan to Dollywood for the 1995 season from the International Motorsports Hall of Fame, Talladega, Ala.
And now, get in on the lead lap and meet the stars of "Legendary Racers."
-- 1919 Ford Racer -- This fully operational classic car was built
by the Faultless Body Company in Delhi, Ind., raced in the 1919
Indianapolis 500, and is still in mint operating condition.
-- 1933 Chevrolet Winged Racer -- It was while driving this car that
Bill Morton became the 1967 Tennessee Dirt Track Champion.
-- 1934 Ford Sedan Short Track Racer -- This automobile is an open-
wheeled race modified dirt car typical of early dirt track
racers. Featuring a 300 Ford Truck six-cylinder engine that
"screams," this classic car is still in condition to run today.
-- 1936 Chevy Coupe -- Lee Petty first bought and raced this
modified Chevy Coupe on the Daytona beach road course in February
1958 and later let his son Richard Petty drive it.
-- 1939 Ford Coupe -- This Ford won the NASCAR National Modified
Division Championship in 1948, which featured NASCAR's fastest
performers with the exception of the speedway division.
-- 1939 Mercury Racer -- Sam Packard, an early Daytona beach racer,
drove this car in races on the beach from 1941-49.
-- 1950 Chevrolet Winged Racer -- This "Vintage Skeeter" was raced
from 1961-66 at tracks around the Southeast. The wing in this
racer is typical of many wings used on various types of race cars
in all areas of the country, both in the very early years and
-- 1950 Green Monster -- This historic car driven by Art Arfons
became the first vehicle to achieve 150 mph in a quarter mile
from a standing start in 1957.
-- 1953 Hudson Hornet Sprint Car -- This car, powered with a Hudson
engine, is a NASCAR Speedway Division Feature Winner and is the
only remaining car of its type.
-- 1955 Chevrolet Sprint Car -- This automobile known as the "Dirt
Dauber" is powered with a 301-cubic-inch engine and is an open-
wheeled sprint car.
-- 1956 Studebaker Novi Racer -- This racer is one of the formidable
rear drive racing Novis and was owned and driven by racing legend
The collection of historic cars at Dollywood known as "Legendary Racers" is just a sampling of the more than 100 special racing vehicles, both classic and modern, on display every day year-round at the International Motorsports Hall of Fame in Talladega, Ala. located off I-20 between Birmingham and Atlanta.
For more information about the "Legendary Racers" exhibit at Dollywood, write to 1020 Dollywood Lane, Pigeon Forge, Tenn., 37863-4101, or call Dollywood Information at 615-428-9488.
/CONTACT: Ellen Long, Dollywood, 615-428-9486/
CO: Dollywood ST: Tennessee IN: ENT LEI SU: PDT
MM -- CH001 -- 1884 03/29/95 12:05 EST
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Date:||Mar 29, 1995|
|Previous Article:||EDDIE BAUER FORGES PARTNERSHIP WITH AMERICAN FORESTS|
|Next Article:||BF GOODRICH RECEIVES FAVORABLE RULING RELATING TO CHLOR-ALKALI BUSINESS|