Printer Friendly

'Hazard' powder scare is tackled.

A CHEMICAL alert was sparked after a "potentially hazardous substance" was discovered dumped beside a Teesside road.

A member of the public raised the alarm after finding three sacks of white powder by a private lane.

Fire crews were called to Thorntree Lane in the Greatham area of Hartlepool soon after 2pm yesterday.

A total of three appliances, an emergency tender, the environmental protection unit and a chemical identification unit were called to the scene.

The powder was collected and made safe by crews in gas-tight 'moon suits.' Nearby footpaths were sealed off during the incident.

Firefighters worked with a chemical specialist to dispose of the powder, which remains unidentified.

Station Manager Ian Dixon, who attended the scene, confirmed the powder was "potentially hazardous" and said it looked as if it had simply been dumped. He added: "We eventually contained the contaminated powder in a sealed drum and it was disposed of from there."

Crews were detained at the scene for more than four hours.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2009 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

 Reader Opinion




Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Evening Gazette (Middlesbrough, England)
Date:Jan 22, 2009
Previous Article:Gilbert, 89, was still active but the tragic dad feared he was becoming paralysed; Badminton lover took his own life.
Next Article:The litter is embarrassing ... now it's time for action.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2015 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters